Monday, August 13, 2012

Transitioning to a new school

     As a mother of three, I have gone through my fair share of transitions to new schools.  I've seen lots of posts on this topic and thought I would add my voice as well.
     To me the work of transitioning begins in the spring.  The schools here hold open houses in the spring and I went to them all.  I talked to the principal, the teachers, poked my nose into the  classrooms.  I made sure I got a good feel of the school before choosing it as my child's new school.
     With school just two weeks away, we are backing up our bedtime.  I saw a recommendation of backing up 15 minutes at a time.  You should get them (and yourself!) up earlier too.  I know, I hate getting up early!  During the summer I usually sleep until around 9am.  School days require me to be up at 6:30. Ugh!  Time for me to get ready.  Luckily my son is a natural early riser! 
      Prepare a one page brief about your child's disability and the assistance they will be needing.  Include allergies and any safety precautions.  Their old teacher will be sending their folder of information along, but it takes time to get to the new school.  Also, teachers just don't have the time to read through the mountains of paper that are usually there except during IEP meetings. Sorry, but that's the truth.
      Attend any and all orientation events.  Renew relationships started during the open house.  Again, talk with the principal, head of Special Ed., the school nurse and the teacher.  You can say something like " I'm so excited that Bobby will be attending your school!  We chose this school because....I think Bobby will be happy here because......I look forward to working with you.
       If for some reason your school doesn't do an open house or orientation, you could write a social story.  I'd also do a drive  by the school.  Let them get out and walk around a bit in the school yard.  Anything to make it more familiar to them. If they are going to go by bus for the first time, go to the bus yard.  Let them see and touch a bus.  Remember how visual our kids are.  Anything they can see, touch, hear will help them adjust to the school.
       I'd let them ride the bus the very first day.  Meet them at the school with lots of praise. Then take them in to meet the new teacher.  Of course, if  your child is older you may not have to go through all this.
       My last bit of advice is once you are certain your child is safe at school, that all their accommodations are being met, and they seem happy there--it's time to leave.  It took two weeks of going back and forth to get my daughter settled in middle school and just as long last year for high school.  Maybe your child will be all set the first day of school.  I certainly hope so!  It's a skill to learn from someone other than your parent and our kids need that.  They need to stand on their own two feet in a safe environment without you hovering once all the kinks are worked out.  Cutting the apron strings, as it used to be called, is good for you and them.  Go home, enjoy the quiet, watch your favorite soap and bake a batch of cookies for after school!!
       Enjoy these last two weeks with your children!  We still have a trip to the beach planned and a trip to get soft-served ice cream.  Yumm!
                                                 Nancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment