Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I'm back and life is good.

      Wow, it's been a long time since I posted.  I thought I might have posted here awhile ago, but I think now it was just on my facebook page.  Sorry to leave this blog hanging on a potentially scary note.  The good news is now I am a cancer survivor!  They did in deed catch it early.  I had two rounds of surgery on my breast and a round of radiation treatments and I should be good now.  So far the healing up afterwards stuff is going well.  So now I can put all that behind me and concentrate better on my kids again.
        I can't tell you how proud I am of my son.  He was my rock through all this.  He was my example.  He asked me once if I was going to be okay.  I told him that the doctors said I would be, and he took me (and them) at our word.  While the rest of us were nervous wrecks, he was Mr. Cool, calm and collected.  He did what ever I asked him to do when I needed help.  His calm helped me to be calmer.  I am so very grateful that I had him during this time. 
        Not only that, guess what?  He's doing well in his vocational training!  He had a few rough patches over the first few months.  With me being sick though, who could blame him?  The stress had to come out some wheres.  His people were great about it and helped him through.  The main thing they taught him was if he was feeling stressed at work and thought he might lose it, he should just quietly exit the store.  It took a while for him to get the hang of it, but he eventually did. I'm really, really simplifying it here.  There were some really bad days here and there.  No one lost hope that he would get the hang of  it and he did.  Not only that, he actually went shopping with my daughter and I once!  He used the same strategy to cope.  When he was done looking around, he just left the store and waited outside for us.  Of, course we hurried up so he wouldn't have to wait too long, but what a thrill!  I got to go shopping with my son! 
        So now it is May and his program will end sometime next month I believe.  He turns twenty-one this year and will have to transition to adult programming.  Thankfully they have an adult program where he is now!  Yes!  I just have to get the new government people, together with the school people and the vocational training people.  The school people have papers that need to get to the government people so that the vocational people can put him in the adult program.  Anyone want to take bets how long this will take me?  I started bugging people three months ago, and turned up the heat the end of last month.  Time for a treat before I drive myself crazy!
         I don't have an actual recipe this time.  I got a wonderful recipe from Martha Stewart in my email yesterday for New York Crumb Cake.  My son loves the Crumb Cake that Hostess puts out, so I thought I'd try it this morning.  It's wonderful!  The cake part was so moist and the crumb part was yummy!  She says to sprinkle powdered sugar on it after it has cooled, but I skipped that part.  Enough sugar is enough around here.  So hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of them on here.  My email is now down and I think I need to completely start over, so I can't even post any links to it or anything.  I'm so glad I copied the recipe out last night before everything went ca-poof!  It's got to be some wheres on marthastewart.com. 
       Yes!  I remembered how!  You laugh, I almost didn't remember how to get back on this blog.  Radiation fries the brain, but only temporarily.  I'm back, my son is wonderful and the adventure continues!  Hope you all decide to come back too!  Hugs all around.    Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment