Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Transitions and Shortbread

     Hello everyone!  Apparently I have the steady few who are still checking me out.  Thank you so much.  I hope I am being a help in some way.
     My first blogs were about my son's life in the past.  This one is going to be about the present and the main reason why I started this blog.  My son is finishing up his last days in high school and will be beginning the transition phase of his education.  I am a novice at this, as many of you  are, so I started doing some research in order to be prepared for his up coming IEP. 
     The first place I went was to www.myautismteam.com.  This is a wonderful site similar to facebook but strictly for those dealing with autism.  I posted a request for any one who had been through a transition before.  No one had, but a wonderful person who goes by Snowy Flamingo gave me a general run down of what should happen.  That jogged my memory to an IEP meeting two years ago.  His teacher said they would slowly get him used to vocational training.  That he would have a job coach and be in school until he was 21 years old.  The year following this meeting he had some vocational training.  This year he was to have more, but he did not.  Did they break any laws?  I got curious.
     My next stop was www.idea.ed.gov.  IDEA stands for the Individuals With Disabilites Education Act.  This is the federal laws they have to follow.  I learned that Part C is for ages birth to age 2.  These are laws regarding early intervention services.  Part B is for ages 3 to 21.  It is very vague and wasn't very reassuring.  It starts off saying that everyone is entitled to a free, appropriate public education.  It also said that the local educational agency shall provide a summary of academic acheivements, etc., etc.  In otherwords an IEP.  No later than age 16 the IEP should start addressing  1. appropriate measurable post secondary goals. 2. Transitional services needed to achieve those goals. 3. Beginning not later than one year before the child reaches the age of majority, a statement that the child has been informed of his rights under Part B.....blah, blah, blah.
     Then it became interesting.  There are state-level funds available for the development and implementation of transitional programs.  Are they sure, in this economy?  Really?  Then the bomb shell hit.  The Local Educational Agency must invite an agency to the IEP meeting but if they don't show up the Local Educational Agency isn't required to obtain participation of an agency in the planning of the transitional services.  WHAT???  If I understand this correctly, that if the agency that is supposed to come to my son's IEP next week doesn't show, they are not required to find him another agency???  He is 18, almost 19.  What's he supposed to do between now and when he is 21 and becomes eligible for other services?  Hopefully all will go well and I am freaking out over nothing.  My state also has their own rules regarding transitional services.  I'll let you know how it all goes. Oh, and even though I am unhappy and feel very unprepared, his school didn't break any laws.  Vocational training starts now.  The last two years were to be the icing on the cake.
     My nerves are shot.  I have laws running around my head.  I need a break.  I give you the simplest recipe that I know.  My heritage is English, Irish and Scottish.  I saw in the library a cook book titled Cooking The English Way by Barbara W. Hill.  I bought it home.  The English have enough good recipes to fill a cookbook???  The answer was yes, and this is the one I wrote down.  It's for shortbread.  It's simple and plain.  Perfect for any autistic child.  I even knew a child who had issues with eggs who used this recipe.  Martha Stewart will give you a list of things to add in if you want, but I like it plain.  It's good with fruit, ice cream or hot chocolate to name a few things.  Here's the recipe.
     1 stick softened unsalted butter  (I use regular butter.)
     3 tablespoons superfine sugar  (I use regular sugar.)
     1 cup flour

     1. Grease your cookie sheet.
     2. Combine the ingredients in order given. It may have a crumb like consistency. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead gently until it forms a smooth dough. (or until stress is relived!)
     3. Form dough into a 6 inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.  Transfer to cookie sheet.  Prick surface of dough lightly with a fork.  Refrigerate for 20 minutes. (You can cover it and leave it in the frig for longer.)
     4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until edges start to turn light brown. 
     5. Cut bread into 8 triangles and let cool. 
      Shortbread is somewhat crumbly.  Underdone is better than overdone.

      Hugs to you all.  I hope your day hasn't been too hard on you. 
                                                                                      Nancy
    

No comments:

Post a Comment